Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 23 October.
- Meal Tub Plot against James II of England.
- Slaves revolt in Haiti (later suppressed).
- Union Gen. Samuel R. Curtis defeats Conf Gen. Stirling Price
- Blanche Scott became 1st woman solo a public airplane flight
- 25 000 women marched in NYC demanding the right to vote
- Walt Disney's "Dumbo" is released
- During WW II Britain launches major offensive at El Alamein Egypt
- UN Gen Assembly convenes in NY for 1st time in Flushing Meadow.
- Revolt against Stalinist policies began in Hungary
- 1st video recording on magnetic tape televised coast-to-coast
- Soviet novelist Boris Pasternak wins Nobel Prize for Literature
- President Nixon agrees to turn over White House tape recordings
- Islander Glenn Resch's 5th shut-out opponent - Flyers 3-0
- By 2/3 majority Panamanians vote to approve the new Canal treaties
- Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin resigns due to illness.
- 241 US Marines & sailors die in a terrorist suicide attack in Beriut